The most important objectives are:
- To encourage the establishment of the "FERRMED Standards" in the main rail freight transportation network in the European Union and neighbouring countries
- To improve the ports and airports connections with their respective hinterlands in the European Union and in the neighboring countries.
- To stimulate the development of railway infrastructures for freight transport in whole Eurasia particularly in the Main FERRMED Great Axis Network (EULER Vector).
- To obtain from the European Commission the inclusion in the "Core Network" of all the main branches of FERRMED Great Axis Network and the corresponding interconnections in its area of influence.
- To stimulate the improvement of management/operational systems and free competition in the rail freight transportation network in the European Union.
- To promote new “utilization” procedures of infrastructures in order to optimize railway transport and the combined/intermodal freight transport using the railway.
- To improve the general competitiveness of the European Union through the global chain of added value (particularly in the rail freight and multimodal transport) through the application of the “R+D+4i” management philosophy.
- To consolidate, together with other associations, the major vectors of progress in the EU and neighboring countries (EULER, EURASIAN and MEDITERRANEAN).
- The upgrade of Eurasian Socio-Economic Mega Regions links through the rise of Trans-Eurasian Logistics Mega Hubs and FERRMED - EU CORE NET CITIES Tribunes.
- The Full FERRMED Corridors achievement including their Eurasian dimmension (for freight, considering only the most important part of the EU Railway Core Network) (approx. 15.000 Kms). First priority to be given to EU Trans-Eurasian Backbone Great Network.
- To contribute to a more sustainable development through the reduction of pollution and climate change gas emissions.
- To optimize the full logistics chain considering appropiate intermodality, reducing costs, increasing quality, assuring traceability and reliability, accomplishing lead times and timetables and improving management procedures in the transportation system.
How the goals of FERRMED can be reached?
- Becoming a powerful multi-sectorial association at European level (“FERRMED power is present in its members”).
- Putting together the ideas, targets, plans and requirements of FERRMED members.
- Participating in decisive working groups at local, regional, national and European levels.
- Carrying out a the conclusions of the Supply/Demand, Technical and Socio-economic Global Study regarding the whole influence area of Main FERRMED Great Axis Network in order to determine the actions to be taken to improve the competitiveness of all socio-economic involved sectors.
- Carrying out technical studies regarding the development of diferent sections of EU Rail Core Network.
- Performing "lobby" actions at key political institutions and at principal decision-makers bodies.
- Proposing improving plans in rail and multimodal freight transportation network and management systems, based on the FERRMED Standards and principles and carrying out the required studies at regional, national and European level
- Conducting studies and conceptual designs of new versions of railway rolling stock, adapted to the requirements of the FERRMED Standards.
- Reporting the weaknesses of the freight railway network and operational systems all over the European Union, beginning with the areas influenced by the FERRMED Great Axis Network.
- Analyzing specific problems of the railway network in specific geographical areas.
- Making strict analysis of government plans related to the railway infrastructure and operation systems at regional, national and European levels and, if necessary, preparing the counter-proposals.
- Doing an extensive follow-up of the government plans implementation.
- Organizing FERRMED conferences, FERRMED - EU CORE NET CITIES Tribunes, and public presentations all over Europe and participating in specialized fairs and other main events.
- Promoting a Trans-Eurasian Logistics Mega Hubs platform.
- Concerning the FERRMED Multisectoral Working Groups (FMWG) at Eurasian level in relation to:
- Rolling Stock
in order to push the development of Trans-European/Trans-Eurasian Railway Network, particularly for freight (bottleneck solving and FERRMED Standards implementation), and to reduce drastically the lead times and the logistics costs (door to door).
Priority development criteria:
- Eurasian outlook
- Having a powerful website and the FERRMED News.